Why have orthodontic treatment?
- An attractive smile makes a person look and feel great, significantly boosting self confidence in children, teenagers and adults alike.
- Straight teeth are much easier to clean, reducing the risk of tooth decay, gum disease, or tooth loss.
- Straight teeth and a good bite may reduce uneven tooth wear.
- Avoid teeth damaging your gums e.g with a deep bite, where the lower front teeth can bite into the gum behind the upper front teeth.
- Possibly avoid jaw joint problems causing damage and pain.
- Speech difficulties can arise due to alignment problems with teeth and jaws, especially an open bite and underbite.
Untreated orthodontic problems may worsen over time leading to tooth decay, tooth wear, gum disease, destruction of the bone that holds teeth in place and chewing and digestive difficulties.
Treating orthodontic problems may be less costly than the restorative dental care required to address more serious problems that can develop in later years.